If you have records in your system that are not on your Email Opt-in Universe list, then you might want to take steps to add them to your opt-in list.
First, why would records NOT be on your Email Opt-in Universe? There are several ways.
- Import. If you imported and did not add them to this list, that would be the most common reason. Be sure to include this code when importing records destined for your email list
- Online Contributions. Online contributors many come into your system via the api and are not automatically added to your email list.
- Opt-Out. If a person opts out of your emails, they are automatically removed from your email list, as well as marked as Do Not Email in your CRM. This double-step keeps you from re-adding them to your list or emailing them in other ways, after they have opted out.
Okay, so how can you quickly and easily add records to your Email Opt-in Universe list?
- Proceed to Lists and Reports module
- Click the List Builder tab
- Click New Constituent List
- Select the category, Interests and Memberships (this is where custom codes are located)
- In the section for Custom Codes, select Email Opt-in Universe and then 'exclude'
- You should now have a list of all records NOT on your Email Opt-in Universe list. You can save this list if you want to get to it in the future, then execute, or you can just execute it immediately.
- Once you execute the list, you will find yourself on the Take Action screen
- Select Mass Edit on the Take Action screen
- In the top section (Select Source Records), your list is already been carried over
- Scroll down to the Add Codes section / Custom Codes and select Email Opt-in Universe
- Scroll down and click Proceed
- This will add all records in your query in the first steps to your Email Opt-in Universe list